Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Acceptance

A little poetry to end another splendid day....

Acceptance

I wasn’t one of the thousands who migrated into freedom.
I wasn’t one of the survivors.
And I wasn’t even one of the hundreds of thousands
who escaped the White Man.
I came to the land of opportunity by God’s hands.

Latin history and American history
fuse together my heart like electricity,
sometimes to a sting.

I am as much a Patriot as Washington,
but you won’t let me become President.
I am as much a Latina as Michelle Rodriquez
but you won’t see me on the Spanish Channel.

The Mayan calendar and the secular calendar
glide ahead of each other.

The Mayans predicted Earth’s destruction
On December 12, 2012.
The Americans predicted earth’s destruction
On January 20, 2009.

The two,
Mayan and Secular,
set my life in a constant
roller coaster rhythm.

Sometimes I fall into the gap between them to retreat,
or to find acceptance.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment