Sunday, April 18, 2010

Interactive Multimedia Journalism

If you have a moment, you should definitely play around with this:

Associated Press Interactive on Volcanic Effects

AP put together--in an organized and clean fashion--all you need to know about what's going on in Europe. You have: pictures, video, interactive maps, short and clear captions and articles describing to you what's going on in Europe post volcanic eruption.

Up until last night, I was only reading about the volcanic eruptions. Then when my father called and told me what was going (he's in Sweden) I wanted to know more.

After a few stories, I was reading the same information and seeing the same kind of pictures. Then I stumbled upon the interactive story AP put together and my questioned were answered.

The site has four tabs: Why planes are grounded, Airports affected, How it happened and What's going on.

My favorite is the Airports Affected because that pertains to me. It has an interactive map and as you scroll over a country, it explains to you how there were affected and why they grounded their planes. They don't give you long details; they give you straight up, simple facts-- it's less overwhelming.

This interactive multimedia story is an example of how journalism is changing for the better.

Interactive multimedia stories allows you to choose what information you want to read and how you want to see it. You decide how you want the news reported to you.

A couple a years ago, you would never have been able to experience a natural disaster story like you can now. This is a great example of all types of journalism working together to do the same job: give the public the facts.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment