Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

I didn't realize how bad things were in Iceland. That is until my father called the other day saying he will not be coming home as planned because he is stranded in Sweden due to all the airports in Europe shutting down. This got me concerned, so naturally I looked up the facts on what was going on.

What I found is that every time I read an article on, my eyes immediately drifted to the picture that went with it.

In a situation like the one that's going on in Iceland, a picture is worth a thousand words. The caption plays a short role in explaining everything that's going on, but the picture shows everything you want to see.

This story explains what is happening really well in words, Europe flights Grounded and has good pictures of the airport chaos.

But if you're looking for a visual report on what's going on, play around with this amazing site: The Big Picture which is photojournalism at it's best. You will leave the site in awe of what you see.

Every day they have a few of the best pictures accompanying news stories all around the world. I love print journalism. But sometimes a picture tells much more. In natural disaster situations, that is almost always the case.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Better yet, check out multimedia journalism at its best thanks to AP :

    http://hosted.ap.org/specials/interactives/_international/volcanic_ash/

    ReplyDelete