Monday, May 17, 2010

My Semester at The Salem News

I just finished one of the best semesters of my college experience-- with The Salem News.

The writers, editors and photographers taught me more about the business than any 50-minute class could. I learned so much.

The most important thing that I learned was how important it is to have a good relationship with your editor. Essentially, having a good relationship can only improve your work. Journalism is a team effort. A story won’t make it to print if it isn’t for the writers and editors working together. At The Salem News, I saw first hand how important that is.

The internship also motivated me to pursue my dreams of becoming a journalist. I have always loved writing but this internship fueled my passion for reporting. I loved how every assignment gave me the chance to meet someone new or travel somewhere different. I loved how every day there was something new to learn. I honestly can’t remember a day when I was ever bored.

The internship also gave me the confidence to join social networks like Twitter and Blog Spot. At first I joined so my friends at UNH could keep up with what I was writing but soon I realized other people—strangers—were interested in what I was writing or blogging about.

This boosted my confidence as a journalist and showed me that I really did have something to offer to the world. That’s why I wanted to become a journalist in the first place: I wanted to teach people about different places, people and events.

Now I know I have the skills to do just that.

Check out my top 5 favorite articles I wrote during my semester at The Salem News:

1) Family History Sparks Dissertation on Nazis in Vienna
This story meant the most to me as a Jew.

2) The Best Mother's Day Gift
This story meant the most to me as a patriot.

3) Brooksby Helps Out Haitian Employees' Families Back Home
This was a chance to bring an international tragedy home.

4) Boxford Mom Wins Makeover
This was a fun, feel good story to write.

5) Coyote Gives Lowdown on Coyotes Q&A
This was the most fascinating to me.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment