Sunday, May 23, 2010

My Summer Reading List

I love to read; I always have a book in my purse or resting on my nightstand. After a long day at work, there is nothing that relaxes me more than reading on my couch, bed or hammock.

Last summer I read all of Philippa Gregory's historic fiction novels with favorites being: The Boelyn Inheritance, The Constant Princess, The Other Queen and The Queen's Fool.

The summer before that was dedicated to Nicholas Sparks with favorites: The Guardian, At First Sight, Dear John and A Bend in the Road.

This summer, I plan on becoming familiar with author, Stieg Larsson. My mother swears by his two novels The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire, so naturally I became interested.

I am now even more excited to read his work because they are going to make The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo into a Hollywood movie, starring Brad Pitt and an unknown/celebrity actress.

As a writer, a book is an incredible tool. Reading other authors' pieces of work teaches me how to "set up" a story: Nicholas Sparks is the master of creating suspense and throwing in numerous plots while still keeping it organized. Philippa Gregory is an expert in turning history into entertainment by connecting the reader to the character.

So when I find an author that I like, I try to stick with them. I learn everything I can about their personal style and try and apply it into my own writing -- creative non fiction and news stories.

As a result, this summer I will be reading:

-Stieg Larsson: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who Played with Fire and The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

-C.W. Gortner: Confessions of Catherine DeMedecci (release date: May 25)
I just finished his book, The Last Queen about Catherine of Aragon's older sister, Juana. It was an incredible story about Spain's last queen's struggle to keep her throne. I definitely recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Philippa Gregory's writing.

-Stephanie Myers: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (release date: June 5)
I loved the Twilight Series and loved The Host even more. Stephanie Myers has an incredible talent in creating characters who you can relate to. By the end of the book, you feel as if you know them; this is so important in keeping a reader intrigued in every page.

-Philippa Gregory: The Red Queen (release date: August 19)

As said before, Gregory is one of my favorites. I read her book The White Queen which is part 1 of a trilogy Gregory is working on about Henry VIII's grandmother. I can't wait to start reading this book. If you liked The Other Boelyn Girl, you'll love this series.




-Nicholas Sparks: Save Haven (release date: September 14)
Sparks is finally taking his characters out of North Carolina and putting them in Italy. I'm interested to see how the different geographic will play a role on him setting up the plot. I have no doubts that Sparks will do a fantastic job.


Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. RT @SparksNicholas Even though I'm on vacation I have been working on Safe Haven. It will be out on 09/12/2010!!

    ReplyDelete