Wednesday, June 23, 2010

An Unwanted Visit from an Old Friend

I just re-watched an incredible movie, Remember Me featuring Robert Pattinson. Honestly, this is one of the best movies I have seen in a couple years.

Regardless of how you feel about Robert Pattinson and chick flicks, this movie is a must see. It touches upon family, friendship, real-life events and ....love.

Now, I almost never try to write love poems because I don't think you can. I don't think it's possible. However, I do try taking a stab at writing heart-ache poems.

So the following is a poem dedicated to what happens when you lose a love (no, it's not personal). Instead, it's one-hundred percent inspired by the movie, Remember Me (but don't think I just gave away the ending because I didn't!)


An Unwanted Visit from an Old Friend

It’s amazing how long it’s been since you’ve come to visit me.
So long, that I thought you vanished from me entirely.
Silly me.
You’ll always be around to remind me of my goods and bads:
my loves and losses.
Silly me.
You’ll always be.

But I was happy today.
I talked to a boy today.
I hoped for a future with this boy.
No, not a future that would lead to tears.
But a future that would lead to a couple years.
I was good today.
I was even better yesterday.
I have moved on from him.
I have moved on from them.

So I thought.

Until I had to call him and he called me back.
That was until he told me he missed me.
That was until I remembering him kissing me.
That was until he tapped into my heart and rewired me.
He always does that.
He always makes me love.

I don’t want to.
I don’t want him (honestly).
But my heart is determined to pain.
My heart is destined to loss.
It refuses to let go.
What can I do?

I don’t think we have a future anymore.
I think all we will have is a past.
I can handle that.
Because our past is beautiful.
Our past is strong.
Our past is a treasure.
Our past is, precious.

But I need to have a future—far from you.
I need to have a future for myself.

Please, old friend.
Let me be.
Let me live.
Let my heart beat on its own.
Don’t wait for him to reboot it back to that place that nearly killed me.
I have healed.
I have moved on.
Please dear friend, I can’t handle the headaches.
My life doesn’t allow it.
I won’t allow it.

Please, say goodbye to me now.
Your visit is unwanted.

**************************
If you liked this, check out:

Love Poems by Anne Sexton

Acceptance 

Faithful

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment