Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Writers are the Best Kind of Loners

Have you ever heard the term, "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger"?

Yes, well, writers invented that phrase.

The only difference is that for writers, the phrase really means "what doesn't kill you only makes you write about it better."

This can best be applied to poets; they have the natural ability to transform pain, pleasure and every emotion into beautiful pieces of writing.

For example, I wrote the following poem when I was just starting my freshman year of high school. I had gone to a private school for nine years, so high school was a completely new environment filled with students I had never met.

Needless to say, the beginning weeks were a bit rough. But I pulled through it all with a pen and paper in hand:


It's hard to admit you're lonely
but it feels good in the end.

It's hard to be different from others
but at least you don't sell out to the latest trend.

It's hard to know you have no one --
no shoulder to cry on and no hand to hold.

It's hard to know who your true friends are.
That -- you only figure out when you're gray and old.

It's hard to be by yourself all the time
and wipe your own tears.

It's hard to have no one who loves you
to fight off all your fears.

It's hard being lonely
basically it sucks.

But at least you have yourself,
the only person you can trust.

Don't worry! High school was amazing for me. But as you can tell, the first couple of weeks were a bit of a shock.

The point I really wanted to get across is: had I not felt lonely, I would have never been able to write a poem about it.

Emotions act as the gasoline that fuels a writers passion to write.

I know I have written some of my best material when I completely shut out the rest of the world. So I challenge you to turn off your cell phone, disconnect the internet and try writing something -- anything.

With that, I would like to add my writing tip for the day:

If you read outside material that gets your blood pumping and you want to write about it -- do it -- but NEVER post or publish it on the same day.

You are in the heat of the moment and basically venting your emotions on paper. However, these sentences are not always clear to others. Chances are you'll wind up reading what you posted and get embarrassed.

So I suggest taking a break from it so you can separate yourself from the writer and turn into the editor.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sylvia, I loved your poem and I enjoyed reading this post. I particularly enjoyed the part where you said that emotions act as gasoline. Great work. I look forward to reading some more of your blog! Feel free to check out mine @ papparaci.wordpress.com

    -Gabe

    ReplyDelete