Monday, August 9, 2010

What's Your Writing Muse?

In the movie Shakespeare in Love, Shakespeare meets his muse -- Gwyneth Paltrow. In the movie, there was something about Paltrow's character that inspired him to write Romeo and Juliet.

This made me think, do all writers have a muse?
Do you know what inspires you to write?

After thinking long and hard, the only thing I could pick as my muse is Lauryn Hill. Not her personally but her music.

I fell in love with R&B and hip/hop because of Lauryn Hill. Her album The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill touched my soul. Songs like "Ex-factor" and "Tell Him" still give me chills.

Whenever I have writer's block or need inspiration I turn to Lauryn. Her beats, voice and lyrics always do the trick.

There is an obvious distinction between songwriting and journalism but there is one important similarity: A writer should always choose their words wisely.

Lauryn Hill does that. Her lyrics are so powerful that every time I listen to her songs, it's as if her creativity flows into my head.

So, what's your writing muse? 

My favorite song of hers: Ex-Factor


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment