Wednesday, August 11, 2010

#WriterWednesday

"You play, you win, you play, you lose. You play. It's the playing that's irresistible. Dicing from one year to the next with the things you love, what you risk reveals what you value. I sat down and scratching in the ice drew my own square of innocent noughts and angry crosses. Perhaps the Devil would partner me. Perhaps the Queen of Heaven. Napoleon, Josephine. Does it matter whom you lose to, if you lose?"

The is an excerpt from the The Passion by Jeanette Winterson, the only book from my college experience that I didn't sell back.

Why didn't I return this book?

Simple, this writer's writing blew my mind.

As I searched through this book last night, I grinned at how many paragraphs are highlighted, circled and commented on. I loved this book.

But.....

One of the most important lessons my poetry professor taught my senior class was, "never analyze what you love."

So this #WriterWednesday, I'm not going to analyze the previous or following excerpts; I just want to share them and hopefully you will enjoy them just as much as I do.

He told me about the fortune tellers he'd known and how crowds came every week to have their future opened or their past revealed. 'But I tell you, Henri, that every moment you steal from the present is a moment you have lost for ever. There's only now.'

Kissing in this way is the strangest of distractions. The greedy body that clamours for satisfaction is forced to content itself with a single sensation and, just as the blind hear more acutely and the deaf can feel the grass grow, so the mouth becomes the focus of love and all things pass through it and are re-defined. It is a sweet and precise torture.

Whoever it is you fall in love with for the first time, not just love but be in love with, is the one who will always make you angry, the one you can't be logical about. It may be that you are settled in another place, it may be that you are happy, but the one who took your heart wields final power.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment