Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Remembering Our Soldiers

I love photojournalism. I love how a picture can truly tell a story in a single frame.

Since I was too busy/sick last week, I would like to catch up on something I meant to write about.

I recently watched The Hurt Locker. I know I'm a little late in saying it was a great movie. However, I am happy to say I thought it was an amazing movie.

I enjoy war movies because it gives me a tiny taste of what our soldiers are experiencing in Iraq, Afghanistan and who knows where else.

In the same respect, I find it helpful when photojournalists depict soldiers' experiences with the click of a button: Afghanistan, September 2010 



Since watching the movie, I have made more of an attempt to keep up with our situation in Iraq and Afghanistan. Twitter made this easier when the @WhiteHouse tweeted "President awards Staff Sergeant Robert J. Miller, U.S. Army, the Medal of Honor."

As soon as I saw this on my news feed, I clicked on the link and watched the presentation live. I didn't know Sergeant Robert J. Miller, but by the end of the presentation I was in tears.

Obama's speech was moving, and when I saw Miller's family receive the medal of honor for him (because he passed), I was really touched.

Regardless of whether your pro war or peace, I think as citizens of the Free World, we can all agree to take a minute and give thanks to our soldiers.

Read why Sergeant Miller received the Medal of Honor here.

Also, read about what the soldiers' families go through: "On Memorial Day, Remember the Mothers, Children, Wives and Lovers Too"

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment