Sunday, November 14, 2010

Growing Up but never Growing Apart

"There is a comfort in revisiting the things we loved when we were young......"

I have had the pleasure of spending the past few weeks visiting my closest friends. One lives down the street. Another lives down south. And one lives a car ride away.

Each of my three best friends represents a part of me that I hope to keep alive forever. As I read books or watch movies, I'm always subconsciously looking for a friendship that resembles one of my own.

I often find what I'm looking for in poetry. This is so because poetry captures an "emotion."



For example, I love my friends because of how they make me feel. So when I'm watching a movie about two friends, I only see the friendship -- I don't necessarily take part in it. Likewise, when I'm reading a book about two friends, I only feel their friendship -- I don't relate it to my own.

However, when it comes to poetry, you feel what the poet is saying because in that instant, as you read the lines, you relate it to you.

Poetry makes you feel like the poet is describing exactly what you are going through. The poem I found that relates to what I'm feeling now is Anne Sexton's poem, "I Remember."

The poem didn't make sense to me at first, but the last line meant everything. Enjoy!



I Remember

By the first of August
the invisible beetles began
to snore and the grass was
as tough as hemp and was
no color—no more than
the sand was a color and
we had worn our bare feet
bare since the twentieth
of June and there were times
we forgot to wind up your
alarm clock and some nights
we took our gin warm and neat
from old jelly glasses while
the sun blew out of sight
like a red picture hat and
one day I tied my hair back
with a ribbon and you said
that I looked almost like
a puritan lady and what
I remember best is that
the door to your room was
the door to mine.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment