Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Happy Hanukkah!

The Jewish holiday Hanukkah is all about giving thanks to G-d for (once again) giving the Jews the strength to defend themselves and defeat their enemies. It's also a celebration of miracles because a one-day supply of oil lasted eight days.

Hanukkah has always been my favorite holiday because of this: It combines action with miracles. The Jews and G-d work together.

The Maccabees did all the fighting and proved themselves to G-d; just as G-d made Himself known and put faith back into His people. It's one of the very few holidays where there is a partnership between G-d and the Jews.

I think this type of holiday is so important, especially in today's economic difficulties. It's extremely hard to see any positive in today's society, and it's even more difficult to believe that there is anyone really looking out for us.

But that is the entire test. To overlook the negative and continue to pray -- to whatever god or religion you believe in.

That's what I honestly believe the holidays are about. Yes, it's AWESOME to buy gifts for loved ones, and even better to get everything you wanted on your wish list. But it's also a great time to reflect on what you already have.

So this Hanukkah, I'm giving thanks to 8 miracles that let me know someone is watching over me....

1) My family
2) My friends
3) The soldiers protecting my freedom
4) My health
5) My passion
6) My job
7) My faith.... in the unreliable promise of life
8) My future.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Happy Hanukkah! I looked at the calendar in November and noticed how early the holiday was. Goodness, time keeps marching forward whether I'm dragging my feet or not!

    ReplyDelete