Sunday, March 6, 2011

Groundhog Reading List

I have been crazy busy with work, working out, writing, visiting friends and READING.

Yes, my day could be the craziest one ever but I always make time for reading. It's the number one way I end my day -- seriously, I always have a book on my nightstand, in my purse or car.

As a result, I always like to keep a list of what books I want to read for that particular season. The groundhog says Spring is right around the corner, so these are the books I chose to bring in the warm weather:

Water for Elephants
........by Sara Gruen

I have already read this book, and it is honestly now one of my favorite books. I didn't know what to expect -- but I was surprisingly (and happily) blown away.

Though he may not speak of them, the memories still dwell inside Jacob Jankowski's ninety-something-year-old mind. Memories of himself as a young man, tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. Memories of a world filled with freaks and clowns, with wonder and pain and anger and passion; a world with its own narrow, irrational rules, its own way of life, and its own way of death. The world of the circus: to Jacob it was both salvation and a living hell.

Jacob was there because his luck had run out -- orphaned and penniless, he had no direction until he landed on this locomotive "ship of fools." It was the early part of the Great Depression, and everyone in this third-rate circus was lucky to have any job at all. Marlena, the star of the equestrian act, was there because she fell in love with the wrong man, a handsome circus boss with a wide mean streak. And Rosie the elephant was there because she was the great gray hope, the new act that was going to be the salvation of the circus; the only problem was, Rosie didn't have an act -- in fact, she couldn't even follow instructions. The bond that grew among this unlikely trio was one of love and trust, and ultimately, it was their only hope for survival.

The Tudor Secret
.....by C.W. Gortner

I'm a big fan of historical fiction and C.W. Gortner -- I especialy loved "The Confessions of Catherine DeMedici" Gortner does a great job mixing history with suspense, and I look forward to what this book has in store.

Summer 1553: A time of danger and deceit. Brendan Prescott, an orphan, is reared in the household of the powerful Dudley family. Brought to court, Prescott finds himself sent on an illicit mission to the king’s brilliant but enigmatic sister, Princess Elizabeth. But Brendan is soon compelled to work as a double agent by Elizabeth’s protector, William Cecil, who promises in exchange to help him unravel the secret of his own mysterious past.

A dark plot swirls around Elizabeth’s quest to unravel the truth about the ominous disappearance of her seriously ill brother, King Edward VI. With only a bold stable boy and an audacious lady-in-waiting at his side, Brendan plunges into a ruthless gambit of half-truths, lies, and murder.
 
Harry Potter Series
.........by J.K. Rowling

Yes, it's true -- I am 23 years old and haven't read a Harry Potter book. I have, however, seen every movie and absolutely love them -- that is why I have decided to give the books a chance. My goal is to read every single one before the final movie comes out.

If you love reading as much as I do, I think this list is very diverse and will keep you entertained until the end of Spring.

Any reading suggestions? Leave in the comments section below!

Ps. Water for Elephants was made into a movie. The movie won't come out until April 22 but the trailer is a great depiction of what you'll find in the book.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment